Saturday, 4 January 2014

fresh beginnings for 2014


What might you be looking at in this image do you think?

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.........

And here's wishing you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

The end of last year went in a total blur. A much needed rest was had, and now I'm slowly picking up the pieces.

I find with the new year a new rhythm of work comes. Taken a while but maybe I'm finding out my yearly work cycle. As a Capricorn, Winters are a time of inspiration and ideas for me. There is lots of gathering and new work has begun, or is it that it's just continuing?.... I read recently that art is never really a 'finished product' but a point in the endless journey that makes one an artist.

"There really is no such thing as Art. There are only artists". 

Gombrich
From The Story of Art

What is 2014 going to mean for you?

For me: CALM, FOCUS, DISCIPLINED STUDIO TIME & LOOKING AFTER MYSELF MORE

Also: developing my own art, and my art collection. I love surrounding myself with art.

With so much to catch up on, a list to share with you:

- discovering Penguin Books Great Ideas books

- currently reading Walter Benjamin's The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction

- inspired by artists; an interview with Maggi Hambling here

- visited this exhibition yesterday which I really enjoyed: Old Master Dialogues (on until Jan 29th 2014)


- Rejuvenating in Bath & at the Thermae Spa 

- getting ready for the next experimental art e-course. I think this may be the last one for a while, so if you're thinking of doing it, or wanting to re-do it, now's a great time...

~

I intend to write more about my journey in art in this space. At the moment my camera is out, a corner at home has been carved out so I can run upstairs at busy times and pursue the ideas that come at all times of the day and night (and make it more seamless with parent-hood). There are bits of paper floating around, I've taken the chalks out again, and I'm seeking out the objects I may need for a new series of works on ebay. I love what one can get their hands on on ebay. 

I feel I occupy a space between midnight and dawn. A place that never really quite meets, but so much goes on in that space. Visual art becomes a language to explore those ideas and feelings. How can I articulate what words are simply not enough to express? This is where I wish to work right now.

Amelia.

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year :) The image looks to me like part of a woman dressed in loose white fabric; her neck is top right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little girl in a white dress; arm to the left, neck in the right corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and Happy New Year Amelia! I love your vision for 2014 and I love that self care will be a part of it - I am big advocate for healthy self care =-)

    Your photo image has a wonderful ethereal quality to it. It feels like the spirit of a young lady or maybe a snow fairy!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments